What If Your Child Is Being Abusive?
If you believe that your child is abusing his/her dating partner or is treating others with disrespect, you may be feeling a lot of disbelief or anger. However, there are some calm and effective ways to help your child and to address the situation. For example:
- Create a safe environment for discussion.
- Encourage your child to talk, but do not force him/her to open up.
- Thank your child for sharing.
- Seek expert help for your child, such as a hotline, counselor or youth group.
- Tell your child it is your job as a parent to keep him/her safe.
- Check in regularly with your child.
- Praise your child when he/she is kind and respectful to others.
- Show your child how he/she can maintain his/her desires and needs without using abusive behaviors.